Monday, June 18, 2007

Coming and Going


rob tornoe, tornoe, political cartoon, press of atlantic city, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, King Arthur, Patsy, It is a Silly Place, McGreevey, Matos-<br />McGreevey, Craig Callaway, New Jersey Stem Cell, Susan Bass Levin


My editors wanted a cartoon to user in the beginning of the summer. I instantly thought of a Norman Rockwell painting entitled Going and Coming, and wanted to play a modern gag off of it. Here's Rockwell's original painting:


I have to say, it's pretty intimating working off Norman Rockwell. Growing up, he was always one of my favorite artists. Kristen and I had the good fortune to visit the Norman Rockwell Museum up in Stockbrigde, Massachusetts. If you thought his paintings were amazing printed, you should see them up close. The layering; the parts where the canvas shows through; seeing his individual brushstrokes. It's pretty amazing.

Anyway, here's my sketch:

No comments: