Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Barbaro is racing on that track in the clouds...

rob tornoe, tornoe, political cartoon, barbaro, iraq, iraq surge

After pumping in dollar after dollar in hopes of saving their beloved racing horse, the owners of the famed Barbaro decided that enough was enough, and was euthanized at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center.

Now, I understand people followed this horse with great admiration, and their grief is sincere. But com'on, he's still a horse! I just don't understand the outpouring of emotion over Barbaro. Jesse and I had a discussion about this at work, and it speaks to the owner's intent. There has been a ground-swell of support for Roy and Gretchen Jackson, and how they should be commended for throwing so much money into saving Barbaro. The fact of the matter is they were motivated to save him in some part so Barbaro could become a stud, breed, and turn into a healthy investment for the couple.

I don't know, perhaps I'm cynical about the whole thing, and the tremendous media push behind Barbaro's "heroism" angers me even more. But then when I hear Representative Mike Castle (R-Del) remember the "brave and heroic life of Barbaro" on the floor of the House of Representatives, I know things have gotten out of control (statement can be read here).

I mean, I don't even think Mr. Ed. garnered this much attention when he passed on. And he could talk!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

From artist to artist, I thought you might be interested to see my painting about this story (www.ashleycecil.com).

So sad (esp for someone living in the Bluegrass, like me).

Anonymous said...

I guess it's not above a cartoonist to bash a horse. He's dead. Can't you just let people remember him in a positive light? Barbaro brought a lot of joy into people's lives, and that's where the outpouring support for him come. Could it be a bit overstated? Perhaps. But it's still no excuse.

Anonymous said...

He's a GOD DAMN HORSE!

Rob Tornoe said...

I wish you weren't anonymous anonymous!

Trina said...

I'm sad that he's dead, but no more so than I am upon hearing about any animal (and even some people) dying. What's saddest about the whole thing is that his owners were the *exception* to the rule of how owners "care for" their horses when they're injured. And I agree with your assessment of their motives. People who think otherwise are deluded.

And no, running really fast and trying to stay alive after an injury do not a hero make.