Saturday, December 09, 2006

USS Intrepid moves to New Jersey

 rob tornoe, tornoe, bolt comics, editorial cartoon, political cartoon, Press of Atlantic City, aircraft carrier, uss intrepid, property taxes, new jersey

I remember when I was a kid, and my family took me up to the USS Intrepid for the first time. I was really into airplanes and military hardware, especially due to the fact that my father was a flight engineer in the Air Force. At the time, my favorite fighter jet was the F-16 Fighting Falcon, due to it's maneuverability and it's adaptability to whatever mission was deemed appropriate. And as I stood on the flight deck, and saw everything from an SR-71 to an FJ-3 Fury.




The picture above is the Intrepid being moved to the Bayonne shipyard for 2 years of repairs and upgrading. The 36,000-ton vessel traveled a speeds upwards of 3 1/2 miles per hours during it's 5 mile voyage to New Jersey, a trip that took 8 hours to complete. I pulled the picture from the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum's website, located here. And if you'd like to read about the move, the Press of Atlantic City had a nice summary of the move, which you can read here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice drawing. Your cartoons are great. I check them out every Sunday in the Herald. It's nice to come here and see the other cartoons and drawings you do for other papers. And your comic book stuff is great! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Cool cartoon. Well drawn

Rob Tornoe said...

Thanks and thanks!